Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Recipe of the week!

So here is something new we are going to do. I, like many of you, am obsessed with Pinterest. I always see these amazing recipes that I totally drool over. But since I am sticking to this healthy eating thing I have been lookin for ways to turn some of my favorites, into healthy alternatives. So here is my first fortay into the healthy cooking world, Baked Tacos. Now the original reciepe calls for 2 pounds of ground beef, which you can use if you want, but I don't eat red meat so I used ground turkey instead. The recipe is as follows:

2 lbs ground meat (again you can use ground beef, turkey or chicken)
1packet taco seasoning
1 8oz can tomato sauce (or taco sauce if you use a taco kit)
1 16oz can refried beans
Shredded low-fat Colby-jack cheese
Toppings of choice
10 hard shell tacos

1. Preheat oven 400 degrees
2. Brown meat in skillet. Drain off excess liquid. Mix in seasoning, sauce, and beans. Heat over low heat for a few moments till everything is mixed.
3. Spoon into bottom of shells and place in a shallow baking dish. Once all shells are full sprinkle cheese over mixture in each shell.
4. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with favorite taco toppings. ENJOY!!!

Now I am not a big fan of tomatos or olives or anything really on my tacos, so what I did was place 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture into the taco and after I took them out of the oven I packed them full of romaine lettuce. It was so good. I was a little hesitant since it seemed like an extra step in the taco making process, but they were SOOOOO good! And the plus side is that the baking toasts the shells and they dont break apart when you bite into them. So give it a try this week, you just might find a new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment