Friday, January 25, 2013

Nutribullet Goodness...

Well Hello there again, happy Friday!!! WAHOO!!! its FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY!!!! (I actually hate that song, but LOVE the Glee version!!)

Anyways I have something interesting to tell y'all about today. In my quest to maintain a healthy lifestyle I have stumbled upon an ingenious invention (actually a friend told me about it, she's so smart :). The Nutribullet is this little blender that has become my new best friend. Did you know that 2/3 of Americans don't consume enough fruits and vegetables? That includes Children. And while I knew all along that in order to lose weight I needed to add more veggies and fruits into my diet, I was not prepared to sit down and eat an entire bowl of broccolli with each meal. Then I got the nutribullet, and now I do have veggies and fruit with each meal! I even have the kids (you remember those little people I told you I nanny right?) have a cup with breakfast, and while they aren't beating down my door to make one for them, they do like them enough to not complain each morning. So here is the deal, for $100 from Target (or Walmart, or Amazon.com or wherever) you get the system, a cookbook (which I have never used), a fruit and veggie guide, and a nutritional planner. I haven't used the cookbook simply because I am not motivated enough to get the book out pick a recipe and then find all the ingredients, instead I simply open the fridge, toss some ingredients on the counter and then proceed to toss them in the cup, and bam baby a nutrismoothy. Here is what I did this morning (I hope you guys appreciate this since it took a lot of motivation to stop and take a picture of each step, when I could have finished quickly and then been sitting on my butt with a cup of coffee, trying to wake up instead :)

Step 1: Gather ingredients. I used whole (organic) spinach but you could use Romaine or Kale or whatever your favorite leafy veggie is, frozen strawberries, frozen peaches and flax seeds.

Step 2: Place a handful of spinach into the cup, I typically do one small handful for the ones I make the kids and 1 1/2 handfuls when I make my own

Step 3: Add frozen (or fresh) fruit of your choice. Typically I use fresh fruit but the kids (and I) like them when they are cold so we have been using frozen quite a bit lately. Try to add the medium size and small fruits first.
Step 4: Add the large fruit last, this way it will be on the top closest to the blade and therefore chopped up more efficiently

Step 5: Add Flax seeds. Flax seeds are so good for you, they are a good source of fiber and omega 3 fatty acids. See this article for information on its benefits; http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/flaxinfo.htm

Step 6: Add water. Add to the max line if you want a more liquid drink or below it for a thicker drink.

Step 7: Attach blade lid, invert and insert into base. Blend until everything is mixed.
Step 8: Enjoy!
The great thing is that these are totally customizable, whatever you have on hand or you enjoy the most you can use. We really like them when they have blueberries, Kiwi or mango's in them. Now I know this looks totally gross, but that's just the color speaking to your brain saying, " hey I'm green so I must taste disgusting" but its not true, these are really good, and so good for you. If its too hard to get over the color, put it into a colored glass so you wont notice as much (I do this for one of the kids who can't seem to get past the color yet). Depending on how much veggies you put in, this can have as much as 1 1/2 servings of veggies and 1 to 2 servings of fruit. We typically put an Avocado in as well, since those too are extremely good for you, but we were out this morning. Give it a try, you just might enjoy it and your body will thank you!

Steph's Tidbits:
  • I started my final semester of college last week!! The light at the end of my tunnel is bright and beckoning me forward!!!
  • I am loving this new season of both Once upon a Time & Pretty Little Liars. Glee not so much (I miss Rachel and Kurt singing last night they didn't utter a single note :(
  • I have been taking a kickboxing class at my gym for the past couple of weeks and I am starting to notice a difference in my running stride (in a good way) its amazing how good cross training is for your muscles!
P.S I am up to 845 jump squats so far this week! How many have you done?

No comments:

Post a Comment