Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Recipe of the Week

So this weeks recipe is Sweet Deviled Eggs! Eggs are vital to a healthy diet and provide so many different benefits:

  • One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality proteins and 9 amino acids
  • One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat
  • Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D
  • They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system
  • May help prevent cancer
Plus many more. So for a healthy alternative to mayo deviled eggs I found this awesome recipe on pinterest, that I changed up just a bit.

Ingredients:
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • 6 teaspoons Greek Yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • Chili powder
You'll notice that there is no Mayo in this recipe, which cuts down on the fat content and calories.

Hard-boil your eggs

Cut the eggs in half length wise 

Scoop out the yokes and combine all the ingredients. Mix together with a fork

Spoon back into the whites. sprinkle with chili powder
 
Now the original recipe calls for onions, but I don't like onions so I omitted them, I also added less honey since I didn't want it to be so sweet. Overall I really like this recipe, although it was still a bit sweet for me, but I offset this by sprinkling a bit more paprika on top. If your craving deviled eggs this a healthy and yummy alternative.

Steph's Tidbits:
  • I really loved this weeks episode of Face-off!! The giants were so cool and I am super excited for Jack the Giant slayer movie now!
  • Still enjoying my green smoothies!!
  • My cats have been going crazy lately, I think they might have Spring Fever :)

No comments:

Post a Comment